COM port options are populated when FinishLynx is initially opened. If the USB adapter is plugged in after FinishLynx is opened, then it will not appear. You must restart FinishLynx and the device will be listed as a COM port in the dropdown.
If the COM port still does not appear in the dropdown, check the Device Manager found in Control Panel and verify the USB adapter is listed and working properly. The COM port number should be listed beside it in parenthesis if it is working properly.
If the device is listed but has a small yield symbol next to it, there is a problem with the device or connection.
In this case, follow these steps:
- Plug the device into a different USB port
- Reinstall the driver for the USB adapter
- Plug in the USB adapter and let the Windows OS recognize the device (a pop-up window will display that the “device is installed and working properly”)
If the device is not listed in the Device Manager, then follow steps 2 and 3 above.
Another possible issue with the COM port listings in FinishLynx has developed due to changes in the technology. If the USB device is listed in Device Manager under Ports, then it is possible that a hidden setting may need to be changed in FinishLynx that was developed in version 8.5.
- Hold down Ctrl + Shift while in FinishLynx and go to File | Options
- A Hidden Settings window will open
- Click on the plus (+) sign next to SerialPort and select TypeMask
- Change the value to -1
- Close FinishLynx and restart to apply the new settings
+ \SerialPort\TypeMask now defaults to -1, which causes all types of COM ports to be listed.
Keywords: USB Adapter, COM port, Device Manager, Capture Button, driver, hidden settings